Friday, May 13, 2016

A flash of MOD lightning ...



By 1969, the 'Mod' movement was in full swing ... colours were never brighter, shapes were never slicker, textures were never shinier and patterns, whether they were Op Art or 'Pop', were FAR-OUT! Francie was the grooviest Mod chick in the Barbie family, so she took full advantage of these swingin' new styles... One of the most Mod out of them all (and one I ALWAYS wanted to get!) was 'Pink Lightning' from that year, which was repeated in 1970. Consisting of a wonderful textured knit romper in the hottest pink with gold chain and green diamante detail, over hot pink hose and ankle boots, topped off with a fab car coat colourblocked in hot pink and orange 'pleather' lined in pink, and finished with a cool Carnaby Street cap and crazy, kooky 'bubble' sunglasses, (The original were pink and green, but these hot pink ones work just as well, I think,) TNT Francie loves wearing this as it makes her the hottest and hippest Modster around! (I added the little pink circle bag, which was a gift from a dear fellow collector friend. Thanks again, Ingrid!)  Needless to say, this was a really fun shoot, and Francie, as always, was the perfect Mod model! What's your favourite Francie outfit?

4 comments:

  1. LOVE THE CAP AND GLASSES! I will start again. I LOVE THIS ENTIRE OUTFIT! Wow! She looks stunning! Love the backdrop too! I love the dark shot with the text on top. It is like she is in one of those crazy MOD light exhibition rooms. Or just a crazy mod house party! I can't really pick a favourite Francie outfit, but this is definitely one of the top 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deany! :D That large dark shot was actually just an out-take, but I started fooling around with coloured filters afterward and loved how it looked (Reminded me of that perfume ad segment in 'Valley Of The Dolls' with Barbara Parkins!) I actually thought you might like that when I was laying that photo out! :)

      Delete
    2. I am glad you decided to use it! It reminds me of that segment too! You should make a dolly version of that commercial!

      Delete
    3. What a terrific idea, Deany!!! That would be A LOT of work... but soooooo much fun to do! Barbara Parkins wears something very much like 'Romantic Ruffles' in that segment so I might copy that one day soon! :P

      Delete