Thursday, May 12, 2016

Francie's FUR-OUT!



We all know that Francie’s outfits were always bright, swingin’ and MOD … however, there was one outfit from 1967 that still had a whiff of the early 60’s ‘Couture’ elegance of Barbie’s wardrobe; - ‘Fur Out’.  It has all those elegant Couture details, such as a deep cherry red satin lining in the coat and a wonderful black textured vinyl made to look like pony skin on the waist and on those very groovy spats or ‘go-go gaiters’ as they were called in the 1967 Sear’s Wish book. They have the tiniest black seed pearls for buttons and I don’t know whether any young child would have had the patience to put those on  as they are REALLY difficult to! (It took me three goes, even with tweezers! Small fingers would have just as much trouble, I would expect.)  It was also one outfit that I had always wanted to get, but never thought I would, as while the coat is not that hard to find, the other pieces usually are, and it’s almost impossible to find the complete outfit all in one go. I managed to find one set with nearly all the pieces - even the ‘leather’ mittens and the HTF  black buckled flats! (Notice she’s not wearing them in the Sear’s catalogue photo… must have been too hard to put on!) – Here is everything except for the cord belt, which I easily made with suede cording. My new Minty Francie is all set for Winter in her new favourite outfit. Take a look at some more of Francie's groovy, kicky wardrobe from 1967 in the TV ad below:


4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, how did I forget about this. Such a sexy and playful look for Francie. Probably my most favourtie Francie outfit since you introduced me to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deany! :) LOVE that hood, stockings, spats and gloves! So many accessories!

      Delete
    2. BTW- I JUST saw on Joe Blitman's site, the PROTOTYPE hood that was supposed to have come with this before Mattel decided to go with the red knit one! It is made of the same black 'ponyskin' material as the spats and coat waist, buttoned under the chin and had a peaked cap! I WANT IT, but it is $695 US!!! :p Here's the link: http://joeslist.com/cgi/store/commerce.cgi?product=fur_out_20796&cart_id=9156964.13290

      Delete
    3. Oh my, I forgot to reply to this. I actually think I prefer the red hood, especially as it is cheaper! :P

      Delete